Sunday 26 August 2012

My Top 5 (6) Covers.


So, one thing I’m a massive fan of is covers, so I thought I’d do a blog post on my Top 6 (was meant to be 5) favourite covers. Now all the ones i’ve picked are all in my opinion better than the original so let’s get started:

First up is Lawson’s version of Marry The Night. Lawson are one of a few YouTube turned artists in this list and if you haven’t heard of them they are a four piece band based in London made up of Andy Brown, Adam Pitts, Ryan Fletcher and Joel Peat. They are NOT a boy band, you’ll find them singing The Script songs before anything by One Direction. They’ve also had two top 5 singles ‘When She Was Mine’ and ‘Taking Over Me’ and have supported acts such as The Wanted, Avril Lavigne etc.  Anyway, when I first heard Lawson were going to do a Lady Gaga song I was unsure because of their genre and style of music but their acoustic set-up is so unique and it like a completely different song. It’s Amazing. @Lawsonofficial Check it Out:


Second is Conor Maynard’s version of Next To You. So if you haven’t heard of Conor Maynard WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? He was a YouTube artist from Brighton who was discovered by Ne-Yo and has been compared to the likes of Justin Bieber. He’s been one of the rising stars of 2012 and is slowly getting some success overseas too! Anyway Next To You, is one of his many covers he did while trying to gain his profile and it is a collaboration with another fantastic girl, Ebony Day. I definitely prefer his covers to his own material and this is one of my faves. @conormaynard Check It Out:


Next up is Betsy-Blue English with her cover of Don’t Judge Me by Chris Brown. Now, Betsy-Blue is not high profile like my other two choices but do not underestimate her ability. She’s an upcoming singer/actress and at only 16 years old she has the most beautiful voice I have ever heard from a teenager of her age. To add to her advantages she has well known contacts from the music business. Also the guitarist in this cover Ed Stokes was featured in Conor Maynard's cover of ET. So check her out and watch this space for her! @betsybluee


Fourth is GMD3’s version of Payphone. GMD3 are a three piece boyband of Greg West, Michael Parsons and Dan Ferrari-Lane. They are a YouTube artist based in London and are recently taking part in The X Factor 2012. Also they are managed by Jayne Collins who was responsible for The Wanted and The Saturdays! They have an old-school sound and their music influences are from Michael Jackson to Chris Brown. Not only is this a great cover, Micky also wrote his own rap/verse to use instead of the original by Wiz Khalifa. Showing their own style, this is an amazing cover. @GMD3music Check It Out:


Fifth is Sam Callahan’s version of We’ll Be Coming Back. Sam Callahan is a fairly new YouTube/Twitter singer and is also best friends with GMD3, who I mentioned above so has great links to the industry and he's from Essex the same place as Olly Murs! ;) At first I have to admit, I wasn’t sure about him but the way he turned a dance track by Calvin Harris and Example to an acoustic sound and made it unique made me obsessed with it. @samcallahan94 Check It Out:


So, I was only going to do 5 but none of my blog posts would be the same without a bit of The Wanted...so I decided to pick my favourite cover they have done which is Iris. Before they covered this, I don’t think anyone really knew their full potential vocally or their ability to play instruments, they were just a typical boyband so I think this changed people’s opinions of them as a group. @thewantedmusic So yeah this was a perfect choice so ENJOY:


No comments:

Post a Comment